This contract is made between DUST JACKET SHORT STORY JOURNAL, hereinafter referred to as the PUBLISHER, and WRITER, hereinafter referred to as the WRITER.
The parties agree as follows:
1. The Writer grants First Serial Rights to the Publisher and permission for the Publisher to include his or her short story, hereinafter referred to as the WORK, in Dust Jacket Short Story Journal for publication in print and digital formats internationally.
2. The Writer agrees not to publish or permit others to publish the Work in any form prior to its publication in Dust Jacket Short Story Journal and for a period of ninety (90) days after its publication in Dust Jacket Short Story
3. The Writer grants the Publisher the right to use the Writer's name and biographical material (including twitter handle) for promotion of the Work.
4. The Writer warrants that he or she is the sole author of the Work, except in the case of collaborations where all named authors warrant that they are the authors of the Work.
5. The Writer warrants that he or she is the owner of all the rights granted to the Publisher hereunder and has full power to enter into this Contract and to make the grants herein contained.
7. The Writer warrants that the Work does not violate the right of privacy of any person.
8. The Writer warrants that, to the Writer's knowledge, it is not libellous or obscene and contains no matter which is libellous, in violation of any right of privacy, harmful to the user or any third party so as to subject the Publisher to liability or otherwise contrary to law.
9. The Writer warrants that the Work is original and any prior publication of the Work in whole or in part had been fully disclosed to the Publisher;
5. The Writer will indemnify the Publisher against any loss, injury, or damage finally sustained (including any legal costs or expenses and any compensation costs and disbursements paid by the Publisher) occasioned to the Publisher in connection with, or in consequence of, any breach of this warranty.
6. The Publisher reserves the right to make minor edits to the Work to conform to the style or formatting needs of the magazine.
9. The Writer will be credited in Dust Jacket Short Story Journal under their legal name or their alias, if desired.
10. Regardless of its place of execution, this Contract shall be interpreted under the laws of the Province of Ontario and, where applicable, the Government of Canada.
The parties acknowledge that each party has read and understood this contract before execution.